Electric Universe Fiction: The Diplomat and the Desperado by PanOrpheus




It struck me as ironic that the LAMBDA-CDM model of cosmology, with its dark matter, dark energy and cosmic inflation pseudo-science, would dominate science fiction the way it does.  It's pure Sci-Fi itself.   As you can imagine it made quite an impression on me to discover that Electric Universe Theory, which is the most scientifically rigorous cosmology out there, had broken into Sci-Fi itself.  Now amplify that when I discover what an an enthusiastic proponent of EU theory and Plasma Cosmology its author, Howard Lipman, who goes by the pen-name of PanOrpheus, actually is.  The material is well written. Its author is well grounded in the science but this is a fiction enterprise and the two are seamlessly blended.  I have asked him to give us something more than a plug.  I've  asked him to to tell us something about his work as well as something about himself, which he has graciously agreed to do.  His words follow:

Glenn…in response to your invitation for me to comment on my books. (I've also included this in an attachment at the bottom of this email after the link to my amazon author's page.)
   First of all, I didn’t feel that there was a need to give up the conventions of science fiction, such as time travel. I also have included the possibility of an afterlife for many reasons. Early on I set up in my first Alternate History/Fiction books about Theoclea, a Delphic Oracle, and her consort Pythagoras. I set up that possibility, and they became The Source and The Mage in the Afterlife. Of course, all of my characters have amazing abilities in one way or another, after all it’s fiction. One reviewer reflected on a ‘Modern Mark Twain-like sense of humor’, and that has been a staple. In subsequent books, the idea of Interventions by afterlife characters would be a theme, and had Phoebe, the Spirit of the mythical third Oracle of the Temple of Delphi intervene in the life of Nikola Tesla at a dramatic moment. The Phoebe-Tesla pair allowed me to join Mythology and Science, as we also do in EU Theory. That’s important. It has also been important for me to have books that contain a continuing Pantheon of characters…to show how a Pantheon can appear and how ancient mythology can be related in one way to EU Theory and concepts.
   I would say that my first book to incorporate EU Theory in a full-fledged entertaining way was ‘Songs and Stories from Electric Mars’. In that book, Mars colonists had a contingent of Plasma Scientists from the 23rd century, and that it was established from the beginning that Mars would develop Plasma Cosmology and Science while the Earth had, after a brief ascendency of EU thought, descended into the depths of The Standard Model once again. History has shown that that can happen. In that book there is a novella titled ‘Cady Miller on Electric Mars’. In the novella, a teenager, Cady Miller is invited, for many reasons to visit Mars. That allowed me to give some background, going back to Kristian Birkeland, and creating a character named Hannes Arp, who would represent more of the history of evolving EU concepts. On Mars, Cady is introduced to The Mage who instructs her on the use of a SAFIRE-like experiment. There are also Metaphysical-Philosophical aspects, and the usual humor, which must be there. The humor and a love story break up the scientific and historical aspects which would tend to be somewhat dry without that. And of course there must be action. The flourishing of Plasma Science on Mars allows for an unfettered view of what a future could be like when Plasma/Electric Cosmology is allowed to progress, unfettered by a corrupted competing Paradigm. Mars allows for an interesting background and Geological history of course. The result is that over time, the solar system can be explored from an initial base on Mars, and that humanity can move out and explore The Titan-Saturn system…and then think about a future amongst the stars.
   I would say that the Mars book, and a YA parody titled ‘The Steampunk-Electric Puppy’ had strong EU concepts, along with the staples of my style listed above. To answer your question as to why I would include EU theory and ideas, the answer for me is TRUTH as I see it. If the audience is vague about the EU then there will be some teaching and hopefully learning and acceptance of new ideas within the Science Fiction genre. I have grown tired of the ‘Battles in Space’ science fiction, and the references to Black Holes, Worm Holes, The Big Bang, and all of the constraints that these things imposed on Science Fiction. In one hundred years or less these concepts in Science Fiction will seem antiquated. Also, these ideas go against the philosophy of Jules Verne who always demanded to know the cutting edge of the science included in his science fiction books. I am also concerned about books on intergalactic voyages to other star systems. They all make it should too easy. It wouldn’t be, a knowledge of Birkeland currents would be essential for the writer. Most of these books show no awareness of the immense difficulties of such voyages. My ‘Diplomat and Desperado’ books could be said to be a departure in some ways, but those books, especially the second one ‘Lost Tales of The Diplomat and Desperado’ deal with the related matter of Egyptian Electricity, The Seven Apkallu Sages, Planetary Amnesia, and Cataclysm. Those two books also IMHO would make great Graphic Novels, and I will explore that possibility. The younger generation, if they are reading at all, enjoy Graphic Novels.
   My books are also abstract in many ways, incorporating musical lyrics of my own, and musical references. I leave it to the reader to do some work on their own to look up these things, hopefully. The contrast between War and Diplomacy in a future context is explored in the two ‘Diplomat and Desperado’ books. I am aiming for a book titled ‘Anemone…The voyages of the Pilots of the Electric Mainstream’, which could become a series of three books. I call my Press Electric Futurism Press LLC, and write under the name of PanOrpheus. Here's a link to my Amazon author's page: PanOrpheus





Search This Blog

Your Feedback

Name

Email *

Message *